Thursday, May 27, 2010

docked marks


The teenboy came home with a near-perfect grade 8 math quiz.  19 out of 22  =  86% is nothing to sneeze at.




However, he was a little choked at the reason for the loss of 3 points and I can understand why.


He got one question wrong, the one shown below.  He got the math correct but he didn't specify the unit of measurement (cm2).   For this he drops from 100% to 86% which is a significant drop.  All of the questions were based in the same unit of measurement, so it somehow makes it even less significant.  argh

If I were the teacher I would have docked him a point for missing the unit of measure, two at the outside max. But this teacher gave him no points whatsoever for this question.


I do not agree but I'm not one of these parents to go running to the teacher to cry foul against my child on every single thing I hear about.



I'd love to hear your thoughts on this - especially if you are a teacher  :D

No comments: